Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Get Healthy Bloghop

Today's topic, brought to you by the Get Healthy Bloghop, the letter y, and the number 17 is about dieting.  When I started dieting 2 years ago, I had no idea how awful I really felt about myself and my appearance. 

Here I was (245lbs):

 
And here I is (175lbs):

 
I now: feel great, can wear t-shirts, get all the major babez, and enjoy the food I eat twice as much.
 
The truth is, dieting and weight loss are simple mind over matter.  If you are overweight it is 95% likely you are overeating and or eating fecescrap.
 
I did not do Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers, Globo Gym, or diet pills.  I just decided one day, I'm going to control this.  And I set up a simple meal plan on some notebook paper. 
 
Monday:
 
Lunch -
 
Dinner -
 
 
Then I filled in the blanks.  My meal plan didn't have breakfast, had a light lunch (a lot of quesadillas or Korean Ramen) and a full dinner.  That's what worked for me.  You know what you need to do:
 
-Budget and plan.  If more goes in than out, you get bigger. 
 
-Set a goal.  I surpassed my 215lb goal weight, and then set new minigoals as I progressed. 
 
-Eat.  I cut out breakfast just because I thought it was best for me, but I NEVER starved myself.  If you don't eat enough eventually you'll fail, give up and slide back downhill, or worse, succeed and be really unhealthy. 
 
-Cut out sugar.  I cooked all my meals from whole foods, and kept 90% of my ingredients 5g of sugar or less per serving.  Cane sugar is the devil's nectar sauce!
 
-Control food availability.  If it's not there you can't eat it.  Use your meal plan to grocery shop.
 
-Treat yourself.  I ate Red Mango froyo once a week just to enjoy life.
 
 
 
How you attain each of these things is up to you.  I knew I understood how to control my weight, and I also knew if I was going to get it done, it had to be my own plan.  It's cheaper than Jenny Craig and better for your dental health than meth.


Anyhow, soap box dismounted.  Check out the next blog on the list here.

Have a great rest of your week!

-Chris

19 comments:

  1. You look great and with your positive outlook life will be great for you. Well done.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it's not there you won't eat it - so true! That's why we don't bring junk into the house. We'd eat it.
    Congratulations on the major weight loss and change, Chris.
    Thanks for participating in our bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an achievement! And you make it seem so easy. My two major issues are exercise and sugar (esp. as I'm pre-diabetic, although I have a wonderful BMI). I love black tea with one sugar, or green tea with honey. If only I could switch to water and regular exercise, I know I'd be a load better off.

    Shah X

    http://bit.ly/13Y93DV

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome weight loss! Half the battle is doing it because you want to not because someone is telling you to. Love your blog, I'm your latest follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris-- first congrats on your weight loss. You looked great before and after, but I'm sure you feel much better inside. Here's what I was thinking as I read your post: men are so much better at weight loss. There just isn't a big emotional component with it like I think so many women feel compelled to incorporate. You came up with a plan, mapped it out and did it. Period. And it worked. I need to find a much less emotional place for this than I currently do. Thanks for the inspiration and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. Sounds like you found a program that really works for you.

    Visiting today from the blogfest
    Rhonda @Laugh-Quotes.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Chris. CONGRATS on your weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome job, Chris!
    I think you shared great tips. Some are so simple that we often forget or overlook them, a reminder now and then is needed so thank you ;)

    Nice meeting you through the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Congratulations! That shows real strength - and you look great. Thanks for all the good tips - and all the truth - simple, frank, truth that we all like to pretend isn't real when we have "good" food sitting in front of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fantastic! And yes, all it takes is such a simple method, and yet the biggest hurdle is just making it happen. Thanks for sharing your success with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have it right in that you must know yourself and what you'll do and not do.

    You do know that it's easier for guys than women to lose weight -right? The muscle mass is greater and that translates to burning more calories. So women need to increase muscle mass to burn more. Great tips that cost nothing but commitment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. DUDE .... YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!! I was floored when I saw your after pic. i remember you from WAY back in my beginning blogger days. Glad to see you still have the same sense of humor!

    You advice is sound. WHOLE FOODS are the way to go and cut WAY down on the sugar. I'm sure you did your fair share of exercise too or you wouldn't look so healthy.

    CONGRATS and keep up the great work!

    Thanks for joining the HOP.... You are a true success story for mind over matter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on the weight loss! This blog hop is really inspirational and encouraging :)
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know, fecescrap doesn't sound appetizing. Great tips and happy they work for you. You are a cutie, but funny is always sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kudos to you for losing so much weight! And you're right, mind over matter truly can make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is amazing, Chris! You look great!

    (Do you drink Mr. Pibb?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I try to avoid pop altogether. I would though, it was my fav.

      Delete
  17. You did good!
    A few months back my husband decided to change his diet. His stepdad almost died from complication of quadruple bypass surgery. He also has diabetes. My husband saw it and decided he did not want to end up that way. One thing I did was fix less food. Or if the meal made enough, I put half on the table and half went in the fridge for another meal. Like you said, you can't eat what isn't there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! You look really good. Isn't great to feel comfortable in your clothes? Speaking from my own experiences in this area, I agree that you really do need a plan to lose weight. Great job!

    ReplyDelete