Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Longfellow

On my recent trip to Boston and Maine, we were able to tour the childhood home of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in Portland, ME.  Here are some pics:




It was really cool to see rooms he played in and desks he wrote on.  I also learned that his trademark beard was not a style choice, but that he could no longer shave due to burns suffered while trying to safe his wife whose dress had caught fire.  

How about you folks?  Has anyone else ever visited a lit heavy historical site like this?

If you aren't a campaigner yet.  Do it!

Also, don't forget to come back Friday for a Choose Your Own Adventure based on my recent vacation.  

-Chris 

5 comments:

  1. I've been to Hemingway's house in Key West, a ton of cats. :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one cool home!
    I don't think I've ever been to a literary home like that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool pics. I can only say Hemmingway's house in Key West as well. I was 15 years old and ticked off at my parents for taking away prime sunning time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to visit my sister when she lived in Boston to tour the city for a book I was writing. The whole Beacon Hill area is just so pretty and if there hadn't been cars I would've sworn I was back in the late 1800s. I also visited (paid for a tour)and old sea captain's home which was amazing - especially the grand staircase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to Shakespeare's house. Seen where he's buried as well - in the floor of a church.

    ReplyDelete