Monday, August 1, 2011

Chris Phillips: Poet Laureate of the Bloggosphere!

I know you probably already thought of me as a poet (guffaw!), but today a short poem I wrote in high school is being featured at My Poetry and Prose Place.  I won 2nd place for it on Angela's poetry contest, and 1st place in the Nebraska State fair Bar-B-Q sauce competition (because it's saucy (get it?)).

You're probably thinking to yourself, "Why is this guy still on my blogroll?"  You may also be thinking, "You wrote poetry in HS?  What a dweeb!"  I assure you it was for a class.  I'm not much of a poet, just because I don't get all of the nuances, but I rhyme things fairly well.  Perhaps I should start a hip-hop career.  Like a Slim Shady meets Bieber meets Dr. Seuss kind of a deal.  *throat clearing noise*

I do not like them Sam I am,
I do not like green eggs and ham.
I do not like them here or ther,
I will never say, "Never."

Whoahoho.  I need to go get working on this.  Or should I say CrackalackinAnyway here's a poem I wrote last night to inspire you to go check out my other poem:
Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Last night I ate Thai.
Now I have to poo.

Inspired yet?  Good.  Go here.

I'll be back on her blog around the end of the month with another poem of mine.  And that one won't even be rhyming!

-Chris 

17 comments:

  1. Hehehehahahaha. Off to check out your poo, um, poem, on Angela's blog :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We need more of this kind of fine literary word beauty! I also think a still life with you on the 'throne' would add some weight to the prose ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I'm not sure if I'm inspired, but you definitely made me laugh! Love your poems and your blog.

    Suzie F.
    *joins the pile of geniuses*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am inspired to go to the bathroom, and then check out your poem. Bwaaahahhaa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forget writing for high school. What are they doing having poetry contests at a BBQ, that's eatn' time! But, you've inspired me... towards the bathroom and Angela's blog! See ya later.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Came over from Angela's blog to check out your place, and glad I did!

    Fun poem. Hehe. Oh, and by the way, I don't think there's a darn thing wrong with writing poetry in high school. (Yes, I was a dweeb also.)

    Consider me a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah I saw your pome on the prose place and really liked it. It's not often you see poetry rhume. good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, the poem was funny. Hey, writing poetry in high school is fine. I know I did. Actually, you could have probably picked up a lot of girls that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. both beautiful and eloquent poems. Very vivid. Poo. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Obviously award winners! The second one is great. My take...
    Roses are red
    Violets are purple
    I like pancakes
    With maple surple

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! You'r a better poet than me. And good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very funny. :)

    Found you via Angela's poetry posts. Glad I did. She's right about you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You seriously don't think you're a poet? I think your work is amazing! Vivid images for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow. I'm impressed.

    And you made me smile. Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Green Eggs & Ham is one of my all-time favorites. I used to recite it in college ... um, nevermind. lol When I was having a good time, on top of furniture. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. You were a poet...and I didn't know it?!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent. Nice job. Could not have happened to a better guy or a nicer poet.

    ReplyDelete