Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Music To Make Write To Starring Stephanie M. Loree

This week I'm delighted to have Stephanie M. Loree (there's supposed to be some mark thing over the first "e" but I don't know how to make that work and I'm from Nebraska so I'm pretty sure I can play my I Don't Get It card.)  Again no dance video, but she does have a travel video guide of the great state of Alaska on her blog.  Very informative.

Whatever story I'm working on, different music calls to me.  Generally instrumental music is my muse's key, like my fave Philip Glass.  But for my current project, alternative rock seems to be what the pages want.

#1: The Cave by Mumford & Sons

- Pretty much the inspiration piece for my antagonist.  Whenever I'm writing about him, I have to play The Cave on repeat.  The entire Mumford & Sons album, "Sigh No More" has had a great influence on my writing.

#2: Rabbit Heart (Raise it Up) by Florence & the Machine

- Contrasted to #1, Rabbit Heart is my protagonist's theme song.  The driving beat and mix of rock/electronic in this song is what really pulls me in, and the lyrics are fab.  I usually listen to their entire "Lungs" album as I'm writing.

#3: Guilty Filthy Soul by AWOLNation

- This band sucked me right in when I first heard them only a few months ago.  I love the play on this song's lighter beat with darker lyrics.  It's so happy, even with that whole guilty filthy soul thing!

---Stephanie M. Lorée

15 comments:

  1. Yeah, Stephanie!
    And I'm sure she'll forgive you, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only heard of Florence and the Machine but I don't listen to any of these. Very eclectic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the musical interview, Chris! And I forgive you for not putting the accent mark (it's ALT+130 on the numpad). Nifty, eh?

    Now I'm just going to listen to these YouTube videos on repeat all day while I write! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in love with Mumford & Sons. Their music is incredible. "White Blank Page" is one of my protagonist's songs.

    I also love Florence + The Machine. Their song "Heavy In My Arms" is my current favorite song in life.

    Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steph introduced me to AWOL on our Alaska trip. Gotta love a Guilty Filthy Soul!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The guy in that first one stole your shirt, Chris.

    Great picks, Stephanie, I've never heard of any of these, but I liked them all (which is rare)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of any of these groups. I'll definitely have to check them out though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great music picks.

    The I don't get it card. He, he. I love it Chris. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That e thing? It's called copy and paste on my blog. ;)

    As always, fascinating to see how others work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The first two songs on my Wip's soundtrack are mumford and son's THE CAVE and THE DOG DAYS ARE OVER by Florence and the Machine. I love finding out musical muses of other writers. Thanks for sharing!

    Chris--Thanks for stopping by my blog--I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was only familiar with #1. Thanks for 2 and 3.

    I pretty much only listen to alternative when I write.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've not heard of any of these before. Thanks for broadening my horizons...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I like the Mumford & Sons song..never heard it before, but I'm on it now.

    Great pics, Stephanie -- even if the Nebraskan robbed you of an accent mark!

    ReplyDelete