Friday, June 3, 2011

Book Reviewish Thing: 4th Stall


I met Chris Rylander at SCBWI of the Dakotas this year.  His new book, out this past Feb. is The 4th Stall.  It is a MG novel with a kind of Mafia meets middle-school vibe.  The basic premise is that Mac, a sixth grader, runs a business out of an abandoned bathroom stall at his school.  High-schoolers muscle in on his business and hilarity ensues.  It's the perfect Middle Grade book for boys.  Humor is excellent.  He uses a lot of obscure references, but does a nice job of explaining them.  I enjoyed it.  You will too.

Things I jotted down that will help me with my writing:
-By the end of the first page I get: The character, his friendship, his business.  A lot of other things are set up in a small space too.  

-Does a nice job of dropping character description in the first chapter despite 1st person narrator with statements like, "Right now you're asking how a blue-eyed... brown hair... could ever run a business like this."

-Chapter 2 really sets up the problem and tension, though tension was given in chap 1, it is elaborated upon.




-Chris 

8 comments:

  1. Cute concept. Yes, I said cute. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I just looked at this at Barnes and Noble today. Didn't buy it (ran out of time) but I thought it was a brilliant concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great premise and a cool cover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got the Godfather font and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great analysis of the first two chapters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chris! Looking forward to your game picks for Monday's blogfest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds hilarious! Great analysis. Gives me something to work towards.

    ReplyDelete