Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Music To Make Write To Starring Kelly Polark

In the past I've stated that participants are chosen based on their looks.  This week's participant, Kelly Polark Was not picked for that reason(foxy as she may be.)  She was selected solely on her dancing abilities.
Evidence:


To say I love music is an understatement. I am crazy about music. I am borderline obsessed with it and the musicians who offer it to me on my iPod. One of my fave things to do is go to concerts. Rock concerts of course where I headbang and throw the devil horns. So it is no surprise that my middle grade manuscript has a rock theme. One thing I cannot do is write while my music is playing, because then I sing along to it and lose track (unless I’m at Starbucks, for some reason I can tune it out).
So here are a few tunes that would be on a soundtrack to my manuscript.


KICK IN THE TEETH by Papa Roach

Papa Roach is one of the best live bands ever. Lead singer Jacoby Shaddix is a madman at concerts -running into the audience, moving to every beat in the song, and shaking his sweat onto the crowd. Jacoby is also the name of my mc’s dad (coincidence? I think not.)

My main character, Stef, has one thing after another happen to her throughout the book so this song is a great mantra to keep going even if it feels like a kick in the teeth.

Cuz if it feels like a kick in the teeth, I can take it.
Throw your stones and you won't see me break it.
Say what you want, take your shots.
You're setting me free with one more kick in the teeth!





I’M NOT OKAY by My Chemical Romance

Great teenage angst song. And a character in my book is named Gerard.  Coincidentally like MCR’s lead singer!



LEARN TO FLY by Foo Fighters

My character loves silly Foo Fighter videos. If you want good music mixed with goofiness check out this out. Jack Black is even in it. Other funny Foo videos are Long Road to Ruin, Everlong, and Big Me!


Lastly, a fourth bonus song (*Chris Phillips Editorial Note*: CHEATER! ;p) is SEIZE THE DAY by Avenged Sevenfold -link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B2yzG6Gj0A Stef’s mom starts each morning with an inspirational rock song. Here’s one of them. This song is more of a love song I guess, but the title fits the day!

Thanks to Mr. Phillips for letting me share this tunage with you. Rock on with your bad self, Chris!

17 comments:

  1. I looove Foo Fighters vid clips - they are so fonneh :D Dave Grohl is a genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite Foo Fighters song is Next Year, but I really enjoy the ones you've listed here as well! And I can work with or without music, but I think it's mostly with. It's hard for me to imagine a time where music wouldn't be present while I work on stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, you crack me up! Great dance video!!! And you already know we have the same taste in music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. whoa! those are some mad dancin' skillz! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for having me today, Chris!
    Trisha - Agreed. Dave Grohl is a genius.
    Jeffrey - How have I missed Next Year? Will see if it's on my iPod!
    Candace - One day we will dance together at a New Meds concert!
    Aspiring X - I offer lessons. ;)
    VaVaVroom - You know it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy crap! That's my favorite MJ song and you sure rocked it. Nice moves, Kelly, nice moves.

    And you gotta love The Foo. Anything related to Nirvana, and as funny as the Fighters is all right in my book.

    That doesn't mean you Chris, you're awesome for different reasons. Like wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knew there'd be a Foo Fighter video there somewhere. Kelly sings as well! Talented woman.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dance moves, Kelly!! Cool hat, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad I finally bumped into Kelly yesterday in the laughter blogfest. Those are some dang smooth moves, Kelly.

    Ooo! I have all those songs in my jukebox here. [mp3 player]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kelly loves her some angst music! LOL! She's so funny, I loved seeing her dance vid. Thanks for sharing, Chris and Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great dancing and great music choices

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. . Kelly really can dance! Love the music choices too. I'm on the same page as you. I love music, but can't listen to it while I'm writing. I'd be doing the moon dance instead of telling the story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Great clips -- and Kelly rocks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i had almost forgotten about papa roach! not necessarily a bad thing, either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the Foo Fighters song/video, although I'm definitely going to need the brand of eyeliner used by the guy in the second video.

    Great choices!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Matthew- That's my favorite MJ song, too!
    Alex- Thank you, kind sir.
    Thanks, Paul!
    Thanks, M Pax. Turn those tunes up!
    Jackee - I'm so not angsty, but I like it!
    Thanks, G!
    EC- I might try the moonwalking/writing thing..
    You rock, Kittie!
    E- Hey,now. I love Papa Roach!
    Liz - Ha! I want that eyeliner too!

    ReplyDelete