Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Music To Make Write To Guest Starring Talli Rolland

This week we are lucky that Talli Rolland, author of The Hating Game has agreed to join us and take a break from all of this Royal Wedding hub-ub and share her favorite writing inspiring music.  Talli, take er' away! 

I’ve never been able to write to music; there’s more than enough noise in my head already! But I do love to listen to music to get me in the mood. Here are my top selections!

1) Nocturne No. 20 in C-sharp minor, by Chopin.



There is something so haunting, yet calming, about this. I’m a big fan of Chopin, and this is one of my all-time favourites.

2) Someone Like You, by Adele.



If you ever need to write a gut-wrenching love scene, I recommend listening to this first. It will get you in the spirit!

3) Jerusalem (British hymn by William Blake and Charles Hastings Perry.)



This is a bit of a renegade choice, but since my characters are British and my novels set in the UK – and I’m not a born and bred native – I listen to this to channel my inner Brit!

19 comments:

  1. Great choices! I love all three. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for having me here, Chris! I love the videos you've selected with my pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chopin rocks! Besides, there's something so fun about saying "pianist."

    Thanks Talli!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could write you a song Talli! At least play you a few notes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha. Jerusalem! I can so imagine your facial expressions going beserk writing to that! :o) That Adele woman sounds like a mix of Norah Jones, Amy Winehouse and Duffy. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adele is pretty legit. Rolling in the Deep is getting a lot of airplay stateside lately.

    Talli- Thanks for coming!

    Alex- you never offer to write me songs... (tear)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chopin does rock. Love that dude!
    Alex, okay! Write me a song! With lyrics, please.
    Jess, ha ha. I know. Love the video that Chris found to accompany that. Shame there aren't any chavs or drunkards in it!

    And oh yes, Adele is amazing. She's been big here for quite a few years. Nice to see her getting recognition on the other side of the Pond, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to write to music It helps me with the pace of my story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice post - I love Jerusalem sung by a choir...such a great hymn totally ruined by the continuous mentions of england... As a self respecting Welshman it's never sung here

    ReplyDelete
  10. G, ha! Sorry to offend the Welsh. If I ever do this again, I'll throw in a mining choir or three... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great selections, and I love Nocturne! Can't wait to get my hands on a piano again... Thanks for sharing Talli, this was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Adele, but Im clueless when it comes to classical stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ah, Jerusalem, a song from my wedding. I love all three of your choices, Talli.

    I enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do listen to music when I write - but often it just becomes background noise I don't even notice. Still, I work better when it's on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. THose sound like great choices Talli! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I don't know about the music, but Talli's eyebrows rock!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you channel your inner Brit! So writerly of you. :)

    And I do like Chopin's piece. Very haunting and very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice choices. Especially Chopin--now that's my kind of writing music.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for Jerusalem. That one's always stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete