Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I hope everyone had a good Memorial Day Holiday. 
But it's over now.  Time to get back to work! This 
week we have Jeffrey Beesler as our distinguished 
guest.  He has unfortunately also turned down my 
request of a dance video.  :( But oh well, he did 
give us his writing picks!  Here we go:
 
The first of the three songs which I make write to 
is “Flashdance (What a Feeling)” by Irene Cara. 
With a single word swap, I can totally turn this 
song into a song of inspiration for writing. I mean,
how can you not write when you hear lyrics like, 
“Take your passion, and make it happen”?
 
 
 
Song Number Two would have to be “That Was Yesterday” 
by Foreigner. As writers putting our work out there, 
we are going to subject ourselves to a boatload, 
no, a freighter’s worth, of rejection. “That Was
Yesterday” keeps me grounded in today by reminding 
me that there’s no point dwelling on the past, that 
we only have the here and now to make the most out 
of. 
 
 
And finally, “She’s in Love with the Boy” by Trisha 
Yearwood is a great example not just of song, but 
of great storytelling. Every line comes alive in 
my imagination as I hear Trisha sing about stuff 
like the pick-up truck coming up the road, or the 
Dairy Freeze, or when Tommy gives Katie his high 
school ring. Such imagery serves as an ideal teaching 
tool for getting the perfect word on the page. 
  
 
Thanks, Chris, for asking me to share some of my 
favorite songs for writing with all of your readers. 
It was really hard to stop myself at three!
 
-Jeffrey 
 
 

15 comments:

  1. I like all three of these songs. Yes, I listen to country music , but I don't like to admit it out loud. This is Chicago and I could be cut for that.

    But why did you turn down the dance vid? I was looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Trisha Yearwood song is one of the few country songs that I've sung along to.
    Also, speaking of Flashdance, those off the shoulder tops are in this summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had a feeling that Foreigner song would make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris: I didn't turn down your request originally. It's just that you didn't tell me how high your fee was. And the video's director was way too unreasonable for my tastes.

    Melissa: Sometimes people just don't care to hear the truth of who we are, sadly.

    Kelly: Wow, just goes to show the mysterious workings of that little thing called fashion.

    Alex: You know me well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flashdance? The only thing that song puts in my head are horrible memories of a school performance with me and my friends where we sung and danced to that song. Cringe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flashdance I get the others not so much. Although I can't write and listen to music at the same time much like I can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Never heard of any of these . . . I'll have to come back to listen to them later!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great! Now you gave me an ear worm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just reading how Chuck Klosterman (pop culture critic at large) says that "She's in Love With a Boy" is one of the most important songs of the nineties. This is the first time I've heard it. I was too busy listening to Nirvana back then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All three are good picks. The music has to move you. Stir emotions inside you. Those emotions make you want to write. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice selections and I had to laugh at Golden, what a youngin' :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  12. Angeline: That would get anyone to shudder!

    Dafeenah: I'm glad you saw my reasoning behind the first song.

    Zertuzzi: Glad you enjoyed!

    Golden Eagle: Hope you enjoy them!

    Copyboy: I wonder what would've happened to your ear if I had mentioned Backstreet Boys?

    Brent: That the critic said something like that doesn't surprise me.

    Orlando: Yes, they do have that effect on me!

    Jules: I'm always pleasantly surprised when a younger person professes to enjoying older songs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great songs. I always turn up the radio when they come on.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some great songs! And Flashdance is just a classic, isn't it? In fact . . . *breaking out in karaoke and dance right now)*

    ReplyDelete