Monday, April 18, 2011

Odds N' Ends

I've finally put the finishing touches on a painting I'd been working on for submission.  I'm not sure it's good enough, but we'll see where it goes.  I can't show you the finished work, but I can show you my dumping stroke page.  I used an ink pen to outline the important figures after painting.  Anytime you dip a pen in ink you need to make an initial stroke or two in order to get the excess out and not have it gush onto your page.  I don't like just making lines so I doodle.  I started out drawing suns, then a monkey.  Then it seemed cruel to leave the monkey floating out in space so I put him on a log in the river.  Then I realized the scene needed more conflict and I added some hungry crocs.  Then I added an island with a gift shop.  All of this was done a few strokes at a time with excess ink. 





I also just received a copy of SATURDAY by Ian McEwan I won from The Alliterative Allomorph.  The Greek stamps on the envelope were pretty spiffy.   

Tomorrow Mpax will be stopping by for MTMWT.  Wed. more ponderings of wisdom and Thurs. another dip into the ole' mailbag (Like how I make it sound like it's more than two weeks old by calling it the ole' mailbag?  I know, right?)


-Chris

14 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see M.Pax's music choices. And every monkey needs access to a gift shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your doodles are better than my "art."
    I can't draw, paint, or doodle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The island gift shop is a homey touch! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing what you can do with excess ink!
    :-) Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. hee hee hee. i love your extra ink doodle!
    best of luck on your painting submission!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading the process of the painting. I can't even draw a straight line - but my 9 yr old DD is illustrating her own book right now and it's pretty amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun doodles. And good luck with your painting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is brilliant! I'll pay you about tree-fiddy for the painting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always wished I had more artistic talent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL. Love your painting! :o) Glad the book arrived!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great looking painting - talent...right there

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very cool, Chris! I dig the animated style especially.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I'm jealous. I can barely draw stick figures LOL! Very cool and thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'm enjoying meeting so many new folks on the A to Z challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooh! Start a stamp collection. That just shouts "intellectual," which I'm sure is the theme you ar going for. Right?

    Thanks for stopping by my blog today and convincing me that "said" is okay NOT to use.

    ReplyDelete