Tuesday, March 15, 2011

MTMWT Guest Staring Janet Sumner Johnson

I have a confession to make.  Last week, when I told you I had supercomputers deciding who did MTMWT based on looks... That might not have been 100% true.  Oh don't get me wrong!  It's still based on looks, but more along the lines of me throwing darts at your pictures with the more beautiful people lower on the wall where my sissy throws are more likely to land.  The super computers are dedicated to making lolcatz!  Glad we could clear that up.  This week my victim of the darts is Janet Sumner Johnson.


When Chris asked me to submit a guest post for his Music to Make Write to series, my gut reaction was to thank him profusely, but politely decline. Why, you ask? Because I'm a silent writer. I can't listen to music when I write.

I'll give you a moment to pick yourself up off the floor.

Fortunately, I looked at his request a little more closely, and realized he didn't ask "What do you listen to when you write?" He said "pick 1-3 songs that are important to your writing."

Phew! That I can do.

But I'm only choosing one since I'm a short and sweet kinda gal.

One song that never fails to make me wish I were sitting in front of the computer working on my WIP is Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten." She may be talking about life, but to me, I see the possibilities of worlds I can create through my writing when I hear it . . . 



I'm just beginning, pen's in my hand, ending unplanned.

Staring at the blank page before you, open up the dirty window, let the sun illuminate the words that you cannot find.

Reaching for something in the distance, so close you can almost taste it . . .

The possibilities are why I love writing. And the imagery Ms. Bedingfield evokes in my mind, is why I love this song. It reminds me why I keep going despite how hard the whole process can be.



15 comments:

  1. Aha, I see what you did there. (Yes, I had to pick my jaw off the floor, but no fear the scratches will fade eventually)

    This isn't the kind of song I could picture fitting into a particular type of scene's soundtrack...but I could totally envisioning play it for myself every day before I sit down to write. Sort of like a Writing Theme Song. Good choice, Janet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this song, too. The words are very inspiring. I don't like to write to music for the most part, though I do have songs that evoke the imagery of the story and the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way, and don't play music while I'm writing, except for some quiet jazz only while doing light editing. Yet so much of music moves me to write, inspiring thought and feeling so perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't write to music either, but it certainly inspires me! Especially when I write my own :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: Chris, if you're running out of participants ... ;o) *hint hint*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope, I definitely have soundtracks. In fact, I make new soundtracks for each novel. That said, I have definite favorites depending on the mood and setting I'm using.

    Thanks for the motivational song, Janet. I love those too and have several. When I was in highschool/college, I set up rules: If I heard "All I Need Is a Miracle" or "Kyrie Eleison," I had to stop whatever I was doing and write. I still try to stick to that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice of song! I don't think I've heard it but I do like the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard that song before, but I can see why it would work with writing!

    I'm on and off when it comes to listening to music and writing--sometimes I do, and other days I'd rather work in silence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That song always makes me think of writing also. I DO listen to music when I write. If I didn't, I think the silence would swallow me...or I'd get even more annoyed at my neighbors really loud telly...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice pick!
    And I guess I was one of your stronger dart throws, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice Janet! I sometimes listen to music when I start but do find it becomes distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't write with music either :-) But certain music does inspire me. Usually it's something from a musical (dorky, I know) because there's a story told through song and it inspires more stories in me.
    I like your music choice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm like you. I never write to music, but I use it when I'm trying to visualize. When I'm stuck, I'll often grab my iPod and head out for a walk. The activity combined with the music always unlocks my imagination. (:

    ReplyDelete
  14. such a great tune - I forget how much I love some of her stuff

    ReplyDelete
  15. We all need inspiration to keep us moving and motivated. Glad you found yours. Me, I'm thankful for the small chunks of time I can write and this keeps me motivated and thankful.

    ReplyDelete