Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Music to Make Write to Guest Starring Candyland

Today in the studio (I have decided to refer to my blog as a studio here so I sound more legit and/or hip!) we have Candace from The Misadventures in Candyland to share a few of her favorite writing type jams with us. 

1) Men are all the Same by The Used
This song isn't my favorite by The Used but one random Sunday drive, after hearing it about a billion times, it gave me the ending to the WIP that got me agented. The part in the middle where the music climaxes, explodes, then fades to the sound of a skipping record track just before the sound of glass breaks through was everything to me. I nearly crashed the car. And now when I hear it, I see my ending like a movie in my head. Crystal. Clear.

2) Different by Acceptance

These guys are no longer a band, but this tune sounds like the perfect soundtrack for my MC when she feels like she's on the outside of it all.

3) Swept Away by Flyleaf

Despite some of the overtly religious wording (which don't bother me,) the music and screaming sound exactly like what I imagine my MC to sing like. Strong, yet feminine. Gritty, yet beautiful.

13 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, thanks for hosting Ms. Candace. I had to take a listen. Your favorite songs are so different from mine. How interesting that is. Just like our WIP's. We might accidentally choose the same basic idea, but they come out so different from each other. I hope you both have an excellent day.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, fantasy author

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot Beiber Beth.

    That guy in the third video looks like a Vampire. Not a sparkly one either.

    Good stuff, for a punk rocker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why am I not surprised that Candy's songs are as eclectic and unique as she is?!?

    This is one of my favorite features now. I'm always on the lookout for new writing music, and everyone is providing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hadn't heard that Used song before. Very cool and I'd never heard of the band Acceptance!
    Flyleaf's singer does have such strong, unique vocals. Thanks for the tunes, Candace and Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And no New Meds. Funny. Thanks for having me. Wait...that sounded weird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erm.... I love the reasons why these pieces of music were chosen - and I can hear the lovely Candace's beautiful and fab mc singing her warrior heart out!!! Yay!!

    But I confess to being either very sheltered or very old as I do not know who these groups are and have never heard of them until now. LOL!!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice picks, Candace! Of course, I can only assume you left New Medicine off the list because when you listen to them you're not necessarily thinking about writing...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for introducing me to some new songs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've actually never heard of any of these! But they are quite good.. thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard of most of these! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great tunes! I'm not sure it's possible to write without music. In fact, I think it's a law or something. :-)

    ReplyDelete