Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Music to Make Write to: Exposition (and my poll stuff)

The poll is officially closed at the end of the day.  Here is what we've learned about the blogging community so far.  

1)  You all be hatin' on Snooki.

2) You people severely underestimate the wrath of the panda.

3) None of you voted for me (Which means not everyone voted.)

4) Some of you have some scary mothers.
 

5) None of you liked Aladdin.
 


I'll post the winner of my contest Friday.

Now to the actual post:
Last week's post was the first in a series of mood music for writing.  Normally when I write (only on the 5th Thursday of alternating months) I enjoy some soft alternative, or hip hop, or indie polka going, but there are different songs and tunes that have vibes to go with different scenarios.  For the next few weeks we will look at the elements of dramatic structure to extract some moods and match music to them.  Here's the chart:


So at the beginning we have exposition.  Sure you should probably start with a scene, but even in that you have to introduce a lot of information quickly.  This is the part of the show where my hippie music can be golden.  Here are a few songs I might play to put me in the mood to set things up.  I tried to use music that would be evenly paced and not too tense.  Depending on the tone you chose to write with you might go lighter or darker.  As always if you have any suggestions for songs that fit comment those things up!

Jimmy Taylor wrote a lot of good exposition music



This is good too (probably some choice lyrics)



This is also good introductory music






-Chris

23 comments:

  1. I'd still pick the rabid panda over Snookie.
    And I think my mood-setting playlist would really, really, REALLY scare you, Chris.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Alex. The panda looks much less ferocious than Snooki. I really need to get back into listening to music while I write. I think my muse is getting cranky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd go with Panda. Snookie is way too scary for me.
    Rap/hip hop to classical an EVERYTHING in between (except polka, sorry).Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I'll try this again. I just left a comment, but Blogger ate it up. I love the idea of relating mood music to different parts of the story arc. I never thought of it that way before, but the music I listen to does kind of coincide with what part of the story I'm in. Interesting. And, I totally wish I'd had a 1st or 2nd grade teacher as cool as you. Instead, I had old ladies who probably never even turned on a radio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A post full of humor and irony. From the videos I'll stick with James Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so admire anyone able to write with music playing. I can't. I seriously have to have total silence or else I just lose any concentration!!

    But good for you!! Hey if it works, it works! LOVE the first pic!! :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found out I can write with music on- my productivity level begs to differ but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    I write romance so I listen to a lot of James Blunt - he speaks my language.
    Eminiem also give me fabulous conflicts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hippie music for exposition, huh? Can't say it ever occurred to me! But it's a brilliant idea. I can't listen to music while I write, but sometimes, I will listen to music to get in the right mindset to write.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, just found your blog and I'm glad I did. Music is a significant part of my writing process. I like your choices, especially Silversun Pickups. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Why is it most of us (me, in particular) bop our heads to the beat? That would make it difficult to type. Especially liked the last song.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your poll results totally cracked me up. :) But how did I miss that? I would have voted. And great music choice. I LOOOOOOOVE Silversun Pickups.:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, I missed the poll! And I love the connection of music to the plot. Very cool. And James Taylor is definitely good exposition music. For sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that SNL skit of Snookie. She/he get's my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crikey - that panda is going to give me nightmares!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My small brain prefers silence when I write. or try to at any rate.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not like Aladdin? I'm revoking someone's fun card ...

    I do like to write to music, but it has to be wordless. If not, I get too many things bouncing around in my thick skull all at once.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I admire writing with music,not me. I like the quite, let the random ramblings in my head fall out. I'm in scatterbrained mode; I love music, but I need that peaceful easy feeling. lol~

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not sure what's worse - the wrath of the panda or the scary mother! I wish I could write to music, but my powers of concentration aren't that advanced.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am with Susan. I can't make up mind between scary looking panda or scary mother! I can't write music or read music. A lapse in my education. But I love music. It speaks to me. I must have music playing when I am writing. It soothes the restless brain.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. Delighted to have met you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hahahaha omg thank you for this I needed that laugh

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, darnit I missed the poll. I would have smartly chosen the rabid panda.
    And after finding out about Jersey shore book deals I made myself orange to see if I could get a book deal too (post before mcr one).
    You made me laugh so I shall be following you. (on your blog, not in your elevator)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sorry I scared you off today with the man butts! I don't do that too often, so I hope you'll come back soon... I'm sort of incorrigible, but usually only verbally...

    As to music--I completely have to tune out when i'm writing... in fact most often I write to the sound of the bath fan... tunes out the family ifyouknowwhatImean... The inspiration for ideas though, is sometimes musical... I am most frequently a loud/alternative girl... The Offspring inspired a whole book...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I don't generally write with music at home. I do have music on the train to block out the world.

    ReplyDelete