Monday, October 18, 2010

In My Mailbox

In My Mailbox is a weekly feature type thing (I refuse to use the word meme in a sentence) hosted by Story Siren  It doesn't have to be something literally in your mailbox, otherwise I'd be sharing rejections with you. It can be any book you get whether from a bookstore, friend, relative, hobo.  I've chosen to do it this week because I've been reading a book I can't put down called Red Lightning by John Varley. 





Crazy good book.  When I picked it up I was thinking it would have a space pilot type vibe.  Completely wrong, here is the book blurb type stuff:
 

Mars sucks, but it has all the comforts of home for Ray Garcia-Strickland, son of Martian explorer and hotel owner Manny Garcia. The family still has connections to Earth, though, and when an unidentified object strikes the Atlantic, destroying a huge percentage of the U.S. East Coast and several Caribbean islands, they head for Florida to get Grandmother, who owns a hotel on the coast, out of the disaster zone. Then there's mad genius Uncle Jubal, singlehandedly responsible for the incomprehensible Squeezers technology that creates incredibly cheap energy and makes space travel possible, who lives surrounded by a web of "security" in the Falklands. Just as the family thinks the worst is over, Jubal vanishes, and there are earthly powers that will stop at nothing to find him. The epic disaster has caused a whole stewpot of political unrest and power plays to come to a head, and Mars is a major pawn in the game, with Ray smack dab in the middle of an epic battle for truth and sovereignty.

 This is a sequel to the book Red Thunder, Which I think I'll move on to next.  I like the character development and voice Varley wrote with in this book.  It was politically charged, but not enough to distract which to me is a plus.  I also laughed several times.  


If you have a book(s) you would like to share you can sign up at  El Sirena de Cuento

2 comments:

  1. I would not have connected that synopsis with the cover at alL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I thought it was going to be full of spaceship battles and such, but surprisingly still an entertaining read.

    ReplyDelete